Dracontomelon edule (Blanco)
Common and occurs in northernLuzonto northernMindanao.
Method of Propagation
It is propagated by seeds.
- Habit: Lamio is a large tree which grows to 40 m in height and 1 m or more in diameter.
- Leaves: The leaves are odd-pinnate with a rachis 5-75 cm long, with 4-18 pairs of leaflets. The leaflets, which measure about 3-6 cm x 7-20 cm, are sub-opposite or alternate. Each leaflet is elliptic-oblong in shape, with a round to oblique base and an acute to acuminate apex.
- Flowers: It has a small, white flower.
- Fruits: Its fruit are globose, grow to 3 cm in diameter, juicy and sour, with a leathery rind.
- Trunk: The base of its stem is not prominently buttressed.
- Wood: used in furniture and cabinet-making and as a material for sliced and rotary veneers, panels, and boxes.
- Leaves and fruit: Its young leaves and mature fruit are edible.